(Client Confidential)

Internal-use, custom-built application that allows hedge fund managers to keep track of over 300 hedge funds, increase operational efficiency, enhance risk management, and improve decision-making.

My engagement for the redesign of this existing business-critical application started with a week of user interviews at their Stamford, CT headquarters. After identifying the different user types, their roles, goals, and pain points, we set out to meet with everyone and watched them use the current application the way they normally would.

Defining User Types and establishing key findings report

Sifting through the week’s worth of notes, I then drafted a report showing the key findings and recommendations. Because the scope of this project was somewhat limited, I also needed to assign levels of priority and effort involved for these, in order to come up with a plan of attack.

Interactive Wireframes

With our priorities now in place, I then worked on interactive wireframes, solving many of the important UI issues that were presented. I introduced a new global navigation, allowing users easy access to the entire application with just one click. I also amped up their Quick Search feature, using auto-suggestion to quickly find anything; from a specific fund, a product, or even a contact person. A new Dashboard also gave users the ability to fully customize their starting page, using drag & drop modules and giving them access to important tables, graphs, and charts.

Inline editing of huge data sets

Lots of other improvements were made, such as inline editing of information, adding Favorites for frequently-accessed data, and contextual menus which give users quick access to functionality right on the spot. And because these users are familiar with the workings of huge Excel-like tables on a daily basis, I also created the ability to customize their table views and save them for later use.

Columns and rows customization

The application's look and feel also needed to be refreshed. It lacked any sort of brand, and the complete lack of design made users dread having to use it every day. Because this is used all day, and throughout the day, we needed a design that felt elegant, but that was also easy on the eyes. By using softer hues and larger fonts, I was able to create a design that felt friendly, and that still put the data front and center.  I then delivered a Style Guide, helping the developers carry forward the visual design in a consistent fashion.

16-page UI Patterns document

Because this was a somewhat limited engagement, yet had many problems still left to fix, I also put together a UI Recommendation Patterns document, which acted as a go-to reference for developers going forward. Aside from some initial on-site interviews and occasional in-person meetings, the work was all done remotely, as with all my projects. Regular conference calls and web reviews kept this project moving forward in a timely and structured manner.

Back to projects